Book Club Friday: Kara Goucher’s Running for women

26 Aug

Its Book Club Friday!

Today I am covering Kara Goucher’s Running for Women:  From First Steps to Marathons

Kara Goucher is the World Championship bronze medalist for the 10K and a top U.S. marathoner. A member of the Nike Oregon Project, improving standards for distance running, she lives in Portland, Oregon, with her husband, professional runner Adam Goucher and son Colt.

Kara Goucher is crazy, madly, head-over-heels in love with running, and she wants to help you feel that love, too. Whether you’re just getting started or already a seasoned runner, this is the book that will take you to the next level. Kara Goucher’s Running for Women contains her expertise, tips, and tricks targeted specifically at female runners to help you become a better, happier, healthier, and more fulfilled runner. She’ll teach you how to:

• GET STARTED WITH THE RIGHT GEAR
• BUILD A SUCCESSFUL SUPPORT TEAM
• FIND THE RIGHT TRAINING PROGRAM FOR YOU
• OVERCOME PSYCHOLOGICAL SETBACKS
• BALANCE RUNNING WITH FAMILY AND WORK
• AND MUCH MORE

Designed to fit your busy lifestyle, Kara Goucher’s Running for Women is packed with quick tips, pearls of running wisdom, and sample training schedules and nutrition plans, as well as sections dedicated to running during and after pregnancy, managing the special challenges of the female athlete’s body, and maintaining a balance between sporting and family life. Kara Goucher’s Running for Women is the ultimate guide for women who want to train for the gold or simply discover their personal best.

My Thoughts:
I read an overwhelming number of positive reviews for this book but was hesitant because I often don’t do well with this sort of non-fiction.  It turns out I wish I wouldn’t have hesitated, I loved this book.  Its fitting for both novice (Me!) and experienced runners.

The book covers sample meal plans, training plans (5k, 10k, and both half and full marathon), tips from Kara’s own team, and personal tidbits from Kara herself.  My favorite bits were the “Dear Karas“, motivational quotes and Kara’s “It Works for Me” sections.

Each chapter begins with Kara sharing a personal experience.  For example, in the Staying Injury Free chapter, Kara details her battle with injuries during her college career.  Then the chapter goes into tips and tricks on avoiding injuries, and how to deal while  injured, including ART (active release techniques), which Lesley blogged about this week.

Goucher almost makes it feel as if you are having a conversation, like you just called her up to ask her some questions about running.  One of the most helpful tips for me was to make 25% of your runs ‘quality, meaning hills and speed.  For whatever reason, I find hill training and speed work to be a lot less intimidating when I remind myself its only 25% of my training.  The other 75% is easy.  Or something.

If you run or are interested in getting started, go get this book!  Now!

One of my favorite lines
In the end, just remember:  One foot in front of the other and repeat.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Book Club Friday: Kara Goucher’s Running for women”

  1. Heather August 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

    I definitely need to read this one! I’ve been running more lately and could use some inspiration.

    Thanks for sharing!

  2. [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. August 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

    Someone else mentioned this book was good. Glad you really got a lot out of it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: